Limberlost State Historic Site

Friday, May 8, 2015

 After reading A Girl of the Limberlost earlier this year I knew I wanted to visit the author's home in northern Indiana. I'm so glad I did! I didn't have long to explore, but it was well worth the trip. Gene Stratton-Porter lived in Geneva, Ind. where she and her husband designed and built a gorgeous home (above). It's now the Limberlost State Historic Site. It was full of interesting design choices, like a built in greenhouse and detailed wallpaper and sliding doors.
Anyone who has read the books will appreciate seeing the author's personal moth collection. She had dozens and dozens of specimens, including the famous yellow emperor from the story.
 In the visitor center there are two dolls depicting the dresses worn by the two main characters that are inspired by the moths. They were so beautiful!
The author's study included first editions of her books, her type writer, etc. I loved the open feel of the house. All the rooms open into others and they are filled with natural light. 
I also saw the original Loblolly Marsh (above) on my way out of town. That was where the main character searches for moths and where her father drowned before she was born. I know most people won't be able to road trip to Indiana to visit the home, so I thought I'd share it with anyone who loved the book as much as I did!

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Thank you for sharing this, especially the lovely photos! I wish I had known of this site when I was living in Michigan. I love the book, and certainly would have wanted to visit, though moths creep me out a little bit.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Lisa - It really was a beautiful place to visit!

Amy said...

Sounds lovely! Also sounds like a book I'd like.

CJ_Apple said...

I love this house - especially that study. Beautiful! And thank you much for introducing me to this book. I had not heard of it, but it sounds wonderful and I definitely want to read it.

thecuecard said...

Okay somehow I missed this book when I was young as well. Now I'm jotting down the title. Like Anne of Green Gables, but darker? Count me in. She lived in a neat home as well. Wow..

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Amy - It's so good!

CJ_Apple - It was gorgeous. I hope you like it!

Thecuecard - It is one of my favorites of the year so far.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I will look forward to visiting there someday myself. GSP is on my 'reading local' list for 2015-16.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

bibliophilica - Oh good! So far I've only read one book, but I loved it. Plus it's just fun to read local.