Vanity Fair Readalong: It Begins!

Friday, February 15, 2013


So just a reminder, Trish and I are hosting our Vanity Fair Readalong over the next month. We are starting today, checking in once in the middle on March 1st at Trish's blog and posting our final thoughts on March 15th here on my blog. It will be very laid back. If you miss one post or something don't worry about it, but we'd love to have you read along with us! 

I'm excited guys. I just started reading and it's already really funny. From the first few pages I can already see how the character of Becky Sharp could have inspired parts of Scarlett O'Hara. 

Quite a few of us are reading an audio version narrated by Wanda McCaddon. We are aiming to reach Chapter so we'll aim for completing the first 34 chapters by the check-in point on March 1st. That should put us right around the middle of the book. 

If you're interested in participating, sign up with the Linky post below. You don't have to do a start up post unless you'd like you. Don't forget to join the conversation on Twitter as well, #YoureSo Vain. If you want to include your twitter handle in the comments below we will try to include you in any update tweets! 

12 comments:

Brooke said...

I'm excited to join my first readalong of 2013! Vanity Fair has been on my TBR shelf for years, but I've always been terrified to pick it up due to its monstrous length! But my Classics Club schedule I made myself has me reading it this year, so this readalong is FATE. Thanks for hosting.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I'm looking forward to finishing my other book so I can dive into my paper copy. Enjoying the audio so far. Wahoo!!

JoAnn said...

This will be a read/listen combo for me, but it's been all audio so far. Listened to chapters 3 & 4 on the treadmill this am - really enjoying it so far.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Brooke - I'm so glad you're joining the fun! It is a big book, but it's really funny so far. I love that our readalong lined up so perfectly with your reading plans!

Trish - Me too. I'm going to pick up a hard copy so I can read both.

JoAnn - I am too. Thackeray is really witty!

Kristi said...

I gave in and got the audio. I cheated a bit and started on the 14th. I had housework and needed an audiobook to motivate me. So far so good.

Mabel said...

Hi! I'll be joining very quietly. I'm interested in reading but probably won't do check-in posts and chatting. I've already read the first 500 pages of this novel -- I just need to finish it. :)

Sarah said...

I hope it's not too late to join in!

I have a paperback, but I'm going to look for that audio version as well and maybe use both.

I'm excited! I've heard such great things about this classic, but it's size always makes me hesitate.

Chinoiseries said...

Ooh, sounds like fun! I've just ordered a secondhand copy, and hoping it'll arrive in time. Happy reading everyone :-)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Kristi - Book reading peer pressure is the best! I'm glad you're joining.

Mabel - I'm glad you're finishing it now! You've had longer to reflect on the first half, so maybe you'll have some interesting insights that the rest of us miss!

Sarah - Of course not, please join the fun!

Chinoiseries - Perfect! I'm going to find a paperback copy to to reference too.

Andi said...

I'm in! Let's see if I can finish the darn thing this time!

Amy said...

I actually started on the 15th but forgot to sign up! I'm enjoying it so far. :-)

@amyliz2008

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Amy and Andi - Glad you're joining us!